Back to routes
RUSR中文

architecture · centre

Korzo — Subotica in Miniature

A flagship walk through central Subotica: Korzo, palaces, architects and details that assemble the city in miniature.

01 / 31

About the tram

We are standing near the tram, which has frozen in this place after a long service to people. He “ran” all the way to Palich, carrying residents and guests of our beautiful city with the characteristic clatter of wheels. The tram in Subotica delighted passengers from 1897 to 1974. And from the beginning of operation it worked on electric traction, although even in Belgrade, Novi Sad, Zagreb and Szeged horse traction was used. During the first decades of its history, tram traffic developed and the number of routes increased. But by the middle of the last century, this type of transport became unprofitable, and budgetary support was required. The rolling stock was not updated, and the trams themselves in Subotica in the second half of the 20th century were almost no different from those at the beginning of the century. Alas, many tram systems in the former Yugoslavia were closed in the 1950s. Subotica suffered the same fate, but later. The bus was seen as a cheaper alternative, and the removal of tram tracks as a way to make room for cars. And on April 2, 1974, the tram service was discontinued. Although you can imagine how this tram once decorated Subotica...

How to get there You are already here. Start the route from the tram and choose a walk below.
Next

02 / 31

About the architects of Subotica

The style of the city, its gradual change, was provided by a number of architects. First of all, this: Janos Skulteti, who, when planning, paid attention to multi-story architecture when developing the appearance of future streets later - eclectic architects Geza Kocka and Titus Mackovic, two pillars of Subotica architecture, who played an important role not only in Subotica, but also in the formation of the Hungarian version of Art Nouveau as a whole Marcel Komor, Dezső Jakab and Ferenc Reichl are three big names whose creations are the hallmark of Subotica. Further on, architects will be named for many buildings, but if you see one of these names, then it’s worth taking an even closer look at the building). This is the shortest of the four proposed routes, this is the center of the city center, this is the calling card of the city. And we will focus on architecture and architects who have invested so much spiritual energy in creating the appearance of the city center.

How to get there Route point. Check the direction on the map and continue your walk.
Next

03 / 31

Partner

Pionir store · Negro candies

And before we start our hike, let's take a look into the world of sweet pleasures!!! Let's go to the Pionir store, which sells confectionery products from the Subotica company of the same name. To do this, walk 1 block in the direction “from the Town Hall” and on the right you will see a small but delicious store “Pionir”, on the shelves of which, in addition to numerous sweet temptations, you will find the legendary Negro caramel (chimney sweep)! Negro are sweets that are produced in Subotica by a company founded in 1917 by József Ruff (you will still have a chance to see the Ruff family house). The company was originally located in Austria-Hungary, but Ruff and his family continued to live and work in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Since 1946, this brand of candy began to be produced by the successor of the Ruff confectionery production - the Pionir company. The product slogan is “Chimney sweep up to your neck.” The wrapper shows a chimney sweep cleaning a chimney. It owes its black color, from which the name of the candy comes, to activated carbon. Anise, which tastes like licorice, and menthol are added to it. The full recipe is a trade secret. Even if you personally don’t really like the taste of licorice, treat yourself and your loved ones to excellent chocolate or bring a package or two to your friends of other sweets from this store - as our experience shows, most will appreciate such a gift!

How to get there Route point. Check the direction on the map and continue your walk.
Next

04 / 31

Korzo Street

Korzo Street (Serbian: Korzo, Hungarian: Korzó) is not just the central pedestrian street of Subotica, it is the historical, social and cultural nerve of the city, a living chronicle reflecting its architectural splendor and the urban spirit that has grown stronger over the centuries.

More

The history of Korzo is inextricably linked with the rapid development of Subotica in the 19th century, especially after the city received the status of a “free royal city” in 1779. Once upon a time, on the site of present-day Korzo, there was a road that connected the old part of the city (the area around the Franciscan monastery) with new territories, which were developed as the population grew. The name “Corzo” (from Italian corso - “main street”, “place for walking”) comes from the general European urban tradition. This was the name of the main promenades in the cities of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. This name perfectly reflected the function of the street: it was a place where townspeople went for an evening stroll (korzózás in Hungarian) to see others and show themselves off, discuss news, and conclude business agreements. It was a social ritual of the upper and middle classes. After World War I, Subotica became part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. At the same time, Korzo’s social and commercial role remained the same. The street continued to be the center of city life. Elements of neoclassicism and art deco appeared in the architecture, but they harmoniously fit into the existing ensemble. And the cafes on Korzo remained the main meeting places for intellectuals, artists, politicians... After 1945, private property was nationalized in socialist Yugoslavia. Many luxury apartments and shops on Korzo have been converted into communal housing and state-owned commercial enterprises. Despite this, Korzo has not lost its role as the main public space. It remained a “showcase of the city”, a place where festive processions and folk festivals took place and where meetings were still scheduled.The lack of private investment then led to the gradual physical decline of many buildings. The unique Art Nouveau facades have not been restored for decades and have gradually degraded. After Serbian independence and especially in the 21st century, there has been a new awareness of the value of Korzo Street as an architectural heritage, while also becoming an excellent pedestrian area. Its appearance was positively affected by the beginning of the restoration of historical buildings, often with the support of international foundations (for example, Hungarian) and the European Union. Today Korzo is a tourist mecca and the pride of Subotica; it is a unique urban ensemble. There are still cafes, restaurants, boutiques here, and the daily walks of the townspeople along Korzo (šetnja Korzom) remain a wonderful living tradition. The history of Korzo Street is a micromodel of the history of the city of Subotica itself: from a modest road to a luxurious promenade of Austria-Hungary, then through the transformations of the 20th century to its rebirth as the pearl of European Art Nouveau. Its stone facades and paving stones preserve the memory of economic ups and downs, changing eras and the constant need of people for beauty and communication.

How to get there Route point. Check the direction on the map and continue your walk.
Next

05 / 31

Loncarevic House

Now we know where we are going and we are starting to move! Now we will go from the tram towards the Town Hall along Matka Vukovića Street, we will reach a roundabout, and, turning very, very little to the left, we will go to the first corner house on the right after the square - this is the Lončarević House (Lončarević kuћa) - one of the oldest two-story houses in the center of Subotica. The building was already on the city map in 1799. Later, the building came into the possession of Machas Witmeser, and in 1907 it received its current appearance thanks to reconstruction carried out by the famous architect Geza Kotska, commissioned by the owner Dušan Stojković. The house was built with a mixture of styles - eclecticism and Hungarian Secession. Its facades are decorated with stucco ornaments, the windows are framed with an elegant decorative frame, and the balcony is crowned with wrought iron railings. The bay window, resting on a large shell-shaped console, is topped with a turret with a metal dome, which advantageously emphasizes the corner of the building.

How to get there From the tram towards the Town Hall along the street. Matka Vukovicha; behind the square is the first corner house on the right
Next

06 / 31

Captain Sučić's house (oldest house)

Leaving Lončareviě kuћu on the right hand, we go straight along Tsar Jovan Nenad Square (Trg Cara Jovana Nenada) to house No. 11 - the oldest house of Captain Sučić (on the left in the direction of travel). The house belonged to the noble Sučić family - one of the oldest families in the city, who played an important role in its development, especially during the period when Subotica was liberated from Turkish rule and began to develop as a city within the Habsburg Monarchy. This is a very old house, allegedly the oldest surviving house in Subotica, its oldest part was built in the mid-18th century, and at the beginning of the 19th century it was expanded and acquired the appearance that has survived to this day. At the time of its construction, provincial baroque prevailed in the region, and the building is certainly one of the very rare examples of civil architecture in Vojvodina that has been preserved in its entirety. The value of the building of the "Oldest House" is great not only because it has survived to this day in its main dimensions, but also because in its immediate surroundings there are genuine remains of a monumental character - the southern wall of the Franciscan monastery and a fragment of the former street, now enclosed by a garden between the building and the Franciscan church.

How to get there Right on the square. Tsar Jovan Nenad to house No. 11 (left)
Next

07 / 31

House on Jovan Nenad Square 9

Turning your gaze to the right, you will see a house with the address Trg Cara Jovana Nenada 9. The building dates back to the second period of rapid urban development in Subotica. It was built in the neo-Renaissance style, which was most widespread in the 1890s not only in Subotica, but throughout Central Europe. Neo-Renaissance was a style that showed power and strength. Investors accepted such a project because the prevailing opinion was that only a balanced Renaissance style could reflect the full power of capital. At the same time, it was also a deception, since behind the monumental façade hid the poverty of rented apartments, of which only those with windows facing the street were suitable for normal life. Poverty and an unpresentable lifestyle reigned in the apartments whose windows faced the courtyard. Such duplicity...

How to get there Opposite, house number 9 on the right side
Next

08 / 31

The building of the former Credit Bank

We go further along the group of buildings on the right hand, and after it turn right. We continue to walk along this group of buildings, and at the first opportunity we turn right again. And we are standing at the former bank building. Its construction began after 1905 and was completed in 1912. The building was built according to the design of Alfred (Guttmann) Hajos with the stylistic features of geometric Viennese Art Nouveau. The building is unusual in its location. This is a corner two-story building, office-residential, with an oval base, which does not have an architectural-classical design and does not form a corner, but is an arch. The entrance to the building is located along the central axis of the arch, which forms the transition from Republic Square to King Jovan Nenad Square. Thanks to this interpretation, the facade is essentially one, symmetrically decorated. The dominant feature of the building is three vertical axes, of which the central entrance part has a high double-pyramid roof. Above the plane of the wall a flat frieze is visible, on which the inscription “CREDIT BANK” has been preserved, and along the axis of the end windows there are consoles with intertwined garlands. Look above - you can see an ornament in the form of a beehive in an oval garland - a symbol of banking, often found in the Hungarian version of Art Nouveau.

How to get there Along the group of buildings, twice to the right - to the corner building of the former bank
Next

09 / 31

House on Republic Square, 6

If you walk a little more along the wall of the building, you will quickly reach the penultimate building (and we were already near the last one, this is the Loncarevic house) at Republic Square, 6, which once belonged to the already mentioned Jozsef Suchic, but at one time it was two-story. This ancient building was already present in the engraving of 1815, and in 1846 it was rebuilt - 1 floor was added.

How to get there Along the wall of the building to the penultimate house (Republic Square, 6)
Next

10 / 31

Monument to Karoly Biro

After seeing this building, look around: you are on the square in front of the town hall - one of the most beautiful buildings in the city, and the square itself with the blue fountain is a great place to look around and admire the beauty of the city, but we suggest carefully examining the Town Hall and the square another time - following a different route... On the corner of the Town Hall building, not far from the McDonald's restaurant, you can see a life-size figure cast from metal - this is Károly Biro, who was the mayor of Subotica from 1902 to 1918. Dr. Károly Biro (January 21, 1864 – Subotica, February 21, 1952) after graduating from law school, provided legal services to the city's residents, including its very poor residents. Having taken the position of mayor in 1902, Károly Bíró remained in office for 16 years, leaving a fond memory of these years, because it was then that Subotica acquired its unique appearance. And it was thanks to him and his initiative that the project to build the City Hall was implemented. After leaving office, the doctor continued to live and work in Subotica - he had something to be proud of. After shaking the doctor’s hand, we can look around and see the theater building, to the left of which Korzo Street begins, and we follow there...

How to get there On the corner of the Town Hall building, near the McDonald's restaurant
Next

11 / 31

Monument to King Jovan Nenad

To our right there will be a monument to the legendary king Jovan Nenad. This is not just a monument to a person, it is a monument to a short (1526–1527), but very bright period in the history of Serbia and in the history of the region of Vojvodina.

More

After the disastrous defeat of Hungary at the Battle of Mohács in August 1526, a period of anarchy ensued in the southern Hungarian lands (in the territory of modern Vojvodina). The Hungarian kingdom collapsed, and the Ottoman Empire had not yet had time to assert its power. As a result, the region plunged into chaos as crowds of refugees and dispossessed people—mostly Serbs, but also Magyars (Hungarians) and Vlachs (Romanians)—moved through the villages, plundering and pillaging. It was at this moment that Jovan Nenad appeared on the historical stage, nicknamed Crnim (Black) because of the unusual black mark on his body, which many considered a sign of fate. He managed to rally these crowds of disadvantaged people around himself, forming an army numbering, according to various estimates, from 10 to 15 thousand people. Aiming to protect the Christian population from the Turks and Magyar nobility, he conquered vast territories in Bačka and parts of Banat and Srem. Nenad proclaimed himself king (emperor), and made the city of Subotica (Sabadka) his capital. He began distributing the captured lands and property to his comrades, establishing military and administrative control. His short-lived state actually became the first Serbian state formation on the territory of Vojvodina after the Ottoman conquest of medieval Serbia. In Hungary at that time, there was virtually dual power: Ferdinand I of Habsburg was strengthened on the throne, while the local nobility elected Janos Zapolyai as king. Nenad, seeking to legitimize his status, entered into negotiations with the Habsburgs (who, apparently, promised him recognition in exchange for support). And he became an ally of Ferdinand in his fight against Zapolya.Nenad fought fiercely, but his reign was short-lived. In June 1527, his troops suffered a heavy defeat from the army of Zapolya. While retreating, Jovan Nenad was mortally wounded in an assassination attempt in the village of Tornos. After his death, his army disintegrated and the kingdom ceased to exist. The territory of Nenad briefly came under the control of the Zápolya and then the Habsburgs, before being finally conquered by the Ottoman Empire. In the historiography of Serbia, the short-term existence of the kingdom of Nenad is considered a symbol of the first independent Serbian state entity in the region and an important stage in the formation of the idea of ​​Vojvodina as a territory with Serbian self-government.

How to get there On the right on the way to Korzo, across the square. Republic
Next

12 / 31

People's Theater

We go to Korzo through Republic Square and see the People's Theater... Its current appearance causes mixed reactions among townspeople. But the front part of the old theater has been preserved, which can be used by someone to adapt to the changes after the reconstruction.

More

The People's Theater in Subotica (Naroszínház / National Theatre) is not only the central cultural institution of the city, but also one of the most significant and, at the same time, most controversial architectural objects in its history. The history of the building, built in the mid-19th century, vividly reflects the cultural and political vicissitudes of the region. Construction of the theater began in 1845 and was completed in 1854. It marked an important stage in the development of Subotica (then part of the Austrian Empire), since it was the city's first monumental public building, built not for religious or administrative purposes, but for cultural purposes. The initial project was made in the style of classicism. The architectural appearance of the building was strict and representative, which corresponded to the spirit of the era. The main facade was decorated with columns supporting the tympanum, which gave the building the appearance of an ancient temple, symbolizing the greatness of art. The theater was located in the very heart of the city, forming its central square. Over the decades, the theater has undergone slight changes, but its classicist basis has remained unchanged. Between 1904 and 1910, when Subotica experienced the heyday of the Secession style under the influence of architects such as Komor and Jacob, the architectural ensemble of the central square changed greatly. However, the theater building, although it was among the new buildings in the Art Nouveau style, remained a key element reflecting an earlier era. In 1983, realizing the historical and cultural value of the building as evidence of early urban planning activities, the theater building was declared a cultural monument under state protection.By the beginning of the 21st century, the building had become dilapidated and required major repairs. The city authorities decided on its large-scale reconstruction, the purpose of which was to expand the premises, modernize the stage and technical equipment. In 2007, a controversial decision was made to demolish most of the historic building. Despite its protected status, all parts were destroyed except the end part. The public, historians and architectural heritage defenders strongly criticized this move, considering it the loss of one of Subotica's most valuable architectural sites. Instead of restoring the historical appearance, construction of a new, modern complex began in its place. The project of the new People's Theater included a combination of modern architectural solutions with the recreation, or rather stylization, of part of the historical facade, which should be reminiscent of the classicist original. The design and construction epic, which began in 2007, dragged on for many years, becoming, as they say, the longest and most expensive construction story in modern Serbia. And now, when the formation of the new appearance of the theater is almost completed, it represents an architectural hybrid: a modern, technically equipped building, on the one hand, and a complex symbol of lost heritage and contradictory urban planning decisions, on the other.

How to get there Across the square Republic to the beginning of the street. Korzo
Next

13 / 31

Voynich Palace

Well, we enter Korzo Street. The second building on the left side (Korzo 1) is the Voynich Palace. From the extensive series of palaces of the late 19th – early 20th centuries, built in the city center for renting out premises, this one stands out both for its unusual architectural composition and for the plastic decoration and color of the facade. This is a rental palace designed for Mata Bayszaj Voynich in 1893 by master mason from Budapest János Jedlicka. The very fact that the author of this exceptional creation was a master mason, and not an architect, is noteworthy. The facade of the building is quite unusual for this environment: it is made in the French Renaissance style with elements of floral Gothic “gotico fiorito”. The main concept of the main façade is typical neo-Gothic. The ground floor is dominated by calm, massive arcades. The slightly lighter structure of the second floor rests on them, making the upper part of the second floor appear lighter and a little playful. The base of the building has the shape of a closed quadrangle. The most luxurious apartments were located on the ground floor on the street side. At the rear of the first floor there was once a stable for six horses with separate stalls, overlooking the driveway, and directly next to the stable there lived a groom in a separate apartment. There was a side staircase at the rear of the building, and the building's first elevator was designed back in 1893. Like the facade, the interior was luxuriously decorated with stucco and luxurious stoves made of Zsolnay tiles and ceramics. The passage to the palace atrium is located in the middle part of the building and is open most of the time. The Voynich Palace is one of the most harmonious and interesting achievements in a series of buildings of this type that grew uncontrollably in what was then a small town at the end of the 19th century.

How to get there The second building on the left side of Korzo (Korzo 1)
Next

14 / 31

Hotel "Golden Lamb"

Behind the building of the Voynich Palace we see what was once one of the most beautiful buildings in Subotica - the Golden Lamb Hotel (Korzo 3). Built in 1857, the building initially looked modest, but everything changed when the architect Titus Mackovic rebuilt it in 1904 for German owner Andras Lichtnecker in the Munich Art Nouveau style. The facade was decorated with floral patterns, and stained glass windows appeared in the arches, shimmering in the sun. On the ground floor there was a restaurant that was a real legend. Everything here exuded elegance: high vaults, exquisite chandeliers and Hermanos Thonet furniture. Imagine morning coffee at a table by the window or long conversations over dinner under the soft light of lamps. On the second floor there were stylish rooms for travelers and businessmen. Unfortunately, the building was demolished in 1985, leaving only the façade. A building for the Yugoslav army was built in its place, but over time it became empty... Today this house, still bright and beautiful on the outside but no longer stained glass, has lost much of its charm.

How to get there Behind the Voynich Palace (Korzo 3)
Next

15 / 31

SDK Bank

Further on the left side we see the SDK Bank building (Korzo 5). This building is a striking testament to the architectural richness of the city and a unique example of an “architectural palimpsest”, where old layers are covered with new ones, reflecting the change of eras. Originally built at the beginning of the 20th century, it was reconstructed in 1912 and added one floor by the architects Marcellus Komor and Dezsø Jakab. The facade is made in a neo-Renaissance style with elements of classicism, but at the same time decorated with decorative motifs of Art Nouveau, such as floral patterns, refined curves and characteristic surface treatments. This is not just eclecticism, but evidence of an architectural transition, where old forms were adapted to new styles, demonstrating the versatility of the authors and their ability to work with the existing context. In addition to its aesthetic appeal, the building is rich in history: originally built as a bank, it played a significant role in the economic and social life of Subotica. Today it continues to function as a financial institution, but also serves as a cultural monument, attracting tourists who want to experience the city's heritage. By the way... In the atrium of this building you can pay all taxes without a fee, while at the same time admiring the internal arrangement... Well, in case you need it)))

How to get there Further on the left side of Korzo (Korzo 5)
Next

16 / 31

Former agency "Putnik"

On your right at Korzo 4 in Subotica is the building formerly known as the Putnik Agency. In 1907, architects Marcell Komor and Dezső Jakab designed it for the Subotica Commercial Bank on a cramped site. Built in the Hungarian Art Nouveau style, it fits seamlessly into the eclectic architecture. This is a two-story corner building with a base in the shape of an irregular quadrangle. The ground floor is dominated by display cases (preserved in a similar condition to the original, only with replacement materials), highlighted by a mezzanine floor for better illumination of the retail space. Portals and windows harmoniously form a single whole. The main entrance to the bank has retained its original appearance: framed by semi-columns with ornaments of vines and peacock feathers, with a metal beehive in the arch as a symbol of frugality. Unfortunately, the corner entrance to Putnik was rebuilt in the 1960s, somewhat disrupting the harmony. The facade is slightly undulating, with arched bay windows at the corner (terminating in domes) and rectangular ones (on consoles with female busts, with trefoil pediments). Folk motifs are clearly visible in the ornament. A wreath of yellow and blue floral ceramics encircles the building, except for the bay windows. The roof is high and playful, following the shape of the building, and is decorated with Zsolnay ceramics with floral motifs; The gutter and snow guard are decorated with holders in the shape of peacock feathers. The facade was restored in 1992.

How to get there Opposite, on the right side (Korzo 4)
Next

17 / 31

Gemini building

Further along the road (to the left) we see an unusual building known as the “twins”. It consists of two once identical parts, like a mirror image, separated by an open passage. The building was built in 1912 according to the design of the Budapest architect Zsigmond Sziklai as a commercial building - the city's first department store. These buildings are of great importance for the appearance of the city center, as they contrast with the traditional eclectic or secession style dominant in the city, and were already conceived in accordance with the principles of international modernism, the motto of which was functionality and simplicity of architecture. The ground floor is dominated by large glass display cases, while the second floor is dominated by multi-section rectangular windows, the shape of which is reminiscent of the Viennese Secession windows. The building is unique not only for its function and appearance, but also for its skeletal structure with a flat roof, unusual for the early 20th century and giving it a discreet appearance. In 1997, unfortunately, two floors were added to the left side of the building, and the twins ceased to be twins...

How to get there Further on the left side of Korzo
Next

18 / 31

Dmitrievich's house

Opposite the “Twins” on Korzo 6 we see the Dmitrievich House, built in 1881 according to the design of Titus Mackovic, famous for his work in the eclectic style with a predominance of neo-Renaissance features. The building is symmetrically designed with two side gables, and in the middle of the gables there is a central entrance with two columns mounted on high pedestals.

How to get there Opposite "Twins" (Korzo 6)
Next

19 / 31

House Halbror

Behind the “twins” on Korzo 9 we see the Halbror house, which Geza Kocka designed around 1890 for the wealthy Halbror family to rent out premises. The architect created a very harmonious building, combining the features of the Renaissance with decorative elements of classicism. For example, four Renaissance portals with windows were added to the embroidered brick façade. A special highlight of the façade are the flagpoles, which harmoniously combine wrought iron and brick.

How to get there Behind the "Twins" (Korzo 9)
Next

20 / 31

Manojlović Palace

Opposite the Halbror House on Korzo 8 is the Manojlović Palace, which occupies a prominent place among the palaces built in the last decade of the 19th century on Korzo. Titus Mačković designed this rental palace for Samko Manojlović in 1881. This is a corner building with a rectangular base, built in an eclectic style with a predominance of neo-Renaissance elements. Noteworthy are the double-leaf representative doors in the central part of the first floor. Above the entrance, between two round columns, there are two magnificent full-length reclining sculptural figures. This detail will become recognizable to Titus Mackovic and is the result of the inspiration that the architect drew from the work of Michelangelo. Inside there is a richly painted staircase.

How to get there Opposite the Halbror house (Korzo 8)
Next

21 / 31

Hotel Adolf Halbror

Behind the Manojlovic Palace on Korzo 10 is the Hotel Adolf Halbror. This building was once known as the Zagreb Inn and belonged to Mor Halbror. The original National Hotel (Nemzeti sálloda) was designed by Geza Kocka in 1897, but was rebuilt by the architect Ferenc Reichl in 1905, who changed the building's façade to create an Art Nouveau floral design. Noteworthy is the stucco decoration in the form of garlands, plant motifs, symbols of the author’s profession and affiliation (hexagon and triangle). And we will not tire of repeating: if Ferenc Reichl had a hand in the creation of this or that building, it will be something wonderful.

How to get there Behind the Manojlovic Palace (Korzo 10)
Next

22 / 31

Palace of Prokesh

We come to the end of the beautiful Korzo street and on our left we see the Prokesa rental palace. This monumental building, which occupies an entire block, was built in 1887/88 according to the design of Geza Kocki. And Komor and Jakab gave the building a bright, rich color scheme and unusual decor, which was dominated by the harmonious and restrained forms of the Italian Renaissance. This building directly faces 3 streets. In its basic concept it corresponds to the Italian Renaissance style, which is characterized by a massive ground floor with a rough façade and arched portals. The upper part is already simpler and lighter. The corners of the building are decorated with quadrangular domes located on low balustrades. The Prokes Palace is the largest rental building in the city, which is the logical conclusion of the promenade, consisting of a number of buildings intended for rental. And presentable buildings, designed for a discerning clientele, have created one of the most valuable areas of the city, and here you can see all the styles significant to the appearance of Subotica.

How to get there At the end of Korzo on the left side (takes up a whole block)
Next

23 / 31

Monument to King Peter I

Having walked the entire Korzo street and stopping at the pedestrian crossing across the street Ђure Ђаковћа we can clearly see the monument to one of the most popular rulers of Serbia - King Peter I Karadjordjević.

More

Peter I Karadjordjevic (1844 - 1921), the first Serbian king of the Karadjordjevic dynasty, who became the first king of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes in 1918, who spent most of his reign under the regency of his son Alexander. His democratic reforms were the main reason for the popularity and good memory of his descendants. He received his education in France at the Saint-Cyr Military Academy. Served in the French Foreign Legion. Participated in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871) and the Bosnian-Herzegovinian Uprising (1875). Peter's participation as a volunteer in the Serbian-Turkish and Russian-Turkish war of 1876-1878. was overshadowed by a conflict with King Milan, who suspected him of wanting to use the situation to gain power in the country. After the uprising in the Toplić district in southern Serbia, Milan openly accused Peter of high treason and collaboration with the Turks, after which Peter had to flee to Austria-Hungary, where he was interned until the end of the war, after which he returned to France. In 1894, he and his children went to Geneva, where he remained until 1903. At the age of 59, Peter Karageorgievich returned from exile and was enthroned after the assassination of King Alexander Obrenovic by Serbian officers led by Colonel Dragutin Dimitrievich (Apis). Peter Karageorgievich was very popular among the people, was considered a liberal, a Francophile, was related to the Montenegrin ruling house, and had a reputation as a friend of Russia. The Western-educated king attempted to introduce a series of liberal reforms in Serbia with the goal of creating a Western-style constitutional monarchy limited by parliament.King Peter I relied on Russia and France, which caused growing hostility among Austria-Hungary. As King of Serbia, Peter made two ceremonial visits to St. Petersburg and Paris in 1910 and 1911 respectively, in which he was hailed as a hero of democracy and national independence in the then impoverished Balkans. The reign of Peter I from 1903 to 1914 is remembered as the "Golden Age of Serbia" due to significant political freedoms, a free press, and dramatically increased cultural influence among the South Slavs. King Peter I supported culture and higher education, seeing the rapid development of the country as his priority. Peter gained enormous popularity after the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913, which were a great success, marked by spectacular military victories over the Ottomans, followed by the liberation of “Old Serbia” (Kosovo Vilayet). Serbia's territory doubled and its prestige among the South Slavs increased significantly, and Peter was perceived as the main symbol of this political and cultural success. After a conflict between the military and civil authorities in the spring of 1914, King Peter decided to “retire” due to poor health, assigning royal prerogatives to his son Alexander on June 25 (July 8), 1914.The king, spending much of his time in various Serbian resorts, remained relatively inactive during the First World War, although occasionally, when the military situation was close to critical, he visited positions on the front line to boost the morale of his troops. His visit to the line of fire before the Battle of Kolubara in late 1914 so boosted the morale of the retreating Serbian forces that he turned the counter-offensive into a victory against the numerically superior Austro-Hungarian forces. During another such visit in 1915, the 71-year-old king took a rifle and shot at enemy soldiers. Following the invasion of Serbia by a joint force of Germany, Austria-Hungary and Bulgaria in October 1915, King Peter I led his army and tens of thousands of civilian refugees through Albania's high mountains to the Adriatic Sea. After a rapid retreat during the harsh winter, the king and his army, exhausted by cold and hunger, were eventually brought to Corfu by the Allies in early 1916. For the remainder of World War I, King Peter I, already very ill, remained on the Greek island of Corfu, which became the seat of the Serbian government in exile until December 1918. At the proclamation of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes on December 1, 1918, 74-year-old Peter appeared in public for the last time. He died two and a half years later, on August 16, 1921, from pneumonia in Belgrade and was solemnly buried in a monastery near Topola in central Serbia, where his grandfather, the founder of the dynasty, rebelled against the Ottomans in 1804.

How to get there At the pedestrian crossing across the street. łure Jakovica, at the end of Korzo
Next

24 / 31

Raichla Apartment House

And so we walked the entire Korzo street, but not the entire route. We turn left, and behind the Prokesha Palace we see the Raichla apartment building, closely adjacent to the Raichla Palace.

How to get there To the left, behind Prokesh's palace
Next

25 / 31

Raichla Palace

And the Raichla Palace... This is not just a building, it is a stunningly beautiful building, any excursion to Subotica is sure to lead to it. This is a masterpiece of architecture, built by fate in our city. Sorry, but it’s difficult to describe many of Raichl’s creations without emotion))) There is now a museum of modern art here, admission is free, guests are greeted cordially and are happy to talk about the house and the owner. And on the other side of the street, a bust of their creator looks at these 2 buildings, as if admiring the effect produced on the audience.

More

Ferenc Reichl... He lived a great life, seeing different eras: from 1869 to 1960. Having received an architectural education in Budapest, he visited a number of the largest cities in Europe, studying the achievements of contemporary architects, and subsequently lived and worked in Subotica (from 1896 to 1908). At the beginning, he met the tastes of his clients, which is why his early works were not in the Secession style. He built many private and public buildings, and each of them is wonderful in its own way. But this palace is something special, which is understandable - Reichl built it for himself in 1904. Ferenc Reichl chose a very attractive location for its construction, opposite the railway station and a recently landscaped park. He quickly designed a unique building in the Art Nouveau style with functional space and original forms. He built both buildings at the same time: his own residential building and a rental building next to it. Construction took less than two years. The latest quality materials were used, and the best craftsmen were brought in to work wood and wrought iron, mosaics, stained glass, glass prisms and plaster reliefs. Reichl put all his knowledge and creativity into decorating his home. He embodied the motifs of Hungarian folk art in every detail. On December 28, 1904, Reichl requested permission to enter. The rooms and salons of the palace were furnished with expensive furniture and objects of art brought by him from long journeys. Income from the rental building and shops on the ground floor should have provided the architect with additional funds for a comfortable life. However, the Reichl family lived in the palace for only four years. Bankruptcy caused by a combination of circumstances forced the family to leave home.The palace was purchased by a bank, which put it up for sale and sold all the property at auction. The palace was purchased by industrialist Teresa Hartmann, who rented it out to tenants. One of the tenants, pharmacist Emil Schösberger, bought the building from the Hartmann family, but he, his wife Anna and two sons, Petar and Andrija, were evicted from the building at the beginning of World War II. After World War II, the palace was nationalized. In 1948 it was transferred to the Subotica City Museum, which adapted the premises for its permanent exhibition, and since 1969 it has housed the Subotica Gallery of Contemporary Art.

How to get there Route point. Check the direction on the map and continue your walk.
Next

26 / 31

House of Sonnenberg (Hungarian Consulate)

The next building after the Reichl Palace is the former rental house of Salomon Sonnenberg, built in 1910 according to the design of Isidor Strassburger and Lajos Gombos. The building is one of the most beautiful examples of the Hungarian version of Art Nouveau. The bright colors of plant motifs on the decorative elements of Zsolnay ceramics were inspired by Hungarian folklore. Today, the Consulate General of the Hungarian Republic is located in the former rental house.

How to get there The next building behind the Raichla Palace
Next

27 / 31

Leovic Palace

Most of the route has been completed. Let's go to the other side of the street and go towards the railway station, which is already clearly visible. On the right along the way is Raichla Park, where it is so pleasant to sit on a bench in hot weather. And on the left there are a number of remarkable buildings, of which I would like to highlight two: the penultimate and the last in this quarter. The penultimate one is the rental palace of Simeon Leovic - the first Art Nouveau building in Subotica, which was built according to the design of Oden Lechner. More precisely, in the transitional style from historicism to modernism. The building was built in 1893 for the royal notary Simeon Leovic according to the design of Eden Lechner and Gyula Partos. Their facade design represented an innovation in the architecture of residential and rental palaces in Subotica and was the first step towards a departure from the then widespread style of historicism. The architects designed the facades with flat walls made of facing bricks and double windows. The building had four apartments for rent: two on the first floor and two on the second floor, with all additional rooms. The building now houses commercial premises and offices.

How to get there Towards the station, on the left is the second to last building in the block
Next

28 / 31

Shimega House

Adjacent to the Leovic Palace is the Šimega House, a very unusual building in the neo-Gothic style. The building was built in 1898 for Ferenc Šimegi, the owner of the most modern steam mill in the area at that time. The construction was carried out according to the design of Titus Mackovic. The owner of the building agreed with the designer that his house would be decorated with a composition of medieval Gothic motifs that created the illusion of a high position in society. The park-side facade has three large openings with pointed Gothic arches on the ground floor with a small entrance in the central arch. Columns emphasizing the verticality of the Gothic style highlight the terrace above which the tower rises. There is an entrance in the corner of the building on the ground floor. Along the entire façade, a horizontal cornice dominates, inappropriate for Gothic, but in harmony with similar cornices in the Vermes and Mamužić palaces, located at the beginning of the quarter and built somewhat earlier in the neo-Renaissance style. Unfortunately, now the condition of the building is not the best, but it is still worth seeing, an unusual building...

How to get there Close to Leovic Palace
Next

29 / 31

Cafe Boss

And we will return to the Reichl Palace. There is an arch between it and the Hungarian Consulate, through which you can go to the Boss cafe. Here you can enjoy both food and drinks, as well as aesthetic pleasure from both the food and the interior.

How to get there Through the arch between Raichla Palace and the Consulate
Next

30 / 31

Street of old crafts

Having refreshed ourselves in the cafe, we go out onto Matije Korvina street and turn right. After walking a couple of tens of meters on the right hand we see a small passage called “Street of Old Crafts”. This street is reminiscent of the time when you could find a craft shop on almost every street in Subotica. The street delights with replicas of shop windows of ancient craft workshops, symbolizing the handiwork of skilled craftsmen, there are replicas of shop windows of tailors, photographers, watchmakers, coppersmiths and even radio and television repairmen - professions that were once part of everyday life, but today only evoke nostalgia. Well, it would be a great idea to take home the exquisite and noble wines produced by the Bogdan winery and sold in the existing store. The idea of ​​​​creating the Street of Ancient Crafts was born from the desire to bring back the spirit of the past - from the memory of Subotica, as the parents and grandparents of Subotica residents remembered it. The authors of the idea wanted to snatch them from oblivion and once again present to the eyes and hearts a reminder of who they are and where they come from. In the middle of the street there is a corner with a sculpture of a tavern table, behind which sits Zvonko Bogdan, the legendary singer of tamburita and Bohemian music, who was a composer, an artist, a poet, a jockey, and a winemaker. A second chair is provided free of charge to passers-by and visitors who wish to immortalize their moments of relaxation in a photograph.

How to get there From the Boss cafe, turn right along the street. Matije Korvina, small passage on the right
Next

31 / 31

Monument to Matthias Corwin

Let's return to Matije Korvina street and follow it to the left - towards Korzo. Near the Boss Café, it’s hard not to notice the monument to Matthias Corvinus (1443–1490), who was the King of Hungary and one of the most prominent rulers of his time. This was the “golden age” of the Kingdom of Hungary. And Corvinus himself is remembered as a reformer, patron of the arts and a fair ruler. His library, known as the Corvinus Library, became one of the largest in Europe. The symbol of his dynasty is the raven. Corwin created a very strong “Black Army”, defended his lands from Turkish invaders, and strengthened the borders. Subotica was then part of the Kingdom of Hungary. His policies helped strengthen the influence of Subotica. And the monument to Matthias Corwin on the street bearing his name emphasizes the city’s historical connection with Hungary. This monument was erected in 2018 in honor of the 560th anniversary of the coronation and is one of the symbols of friendship between Serbia and Hungary. We have very little effort left to return to Korzo Street, which will be the logical end of the route...

How to get there At the Boss cafe, on the street. Matyasha Corvina