Back to routes
RUSR中文

faiths · museum

Spiritual Faces of Subotica

A route through churches, religious communities and museum points that reveal the layered spiritual map of the city.

01 / 17

About the tram

We are standing near the tram, which has frozen in this place after a long service to people. He “ran” all the way to Palich, carrying residents and guests of our beautiful city with the characteristic clatter of wheels. The tram in Subotica delighted passengers from 1897 to 1974. And from the beginning of operation it worked on electric traction, although even in Belgrade, Novi Sad, Zagreb and Szeged horse traction was used. During the first decades of its history, tram traffic developed and the number of routes increased. But by the middle of the last century, this type of transport became unprofitable, and budgetary support was required. The rolling stock was not updated, and the trams themselves in Subotica in the second half of the 20th century were almost no different from those at the beginning of the century. Alas, many tram systems in the former Yugoslavia were closed in the 1950s. Subotica suffered the same fate, but later. The bus was seen as a cheaper alternative, and the removal of tram tracks as a way to make room for cars. And on April 2, 1974, the tram service was discontinued. Although you can imagine how this tram once decorated Subotica...

How to get there You are already here. Start the route from the tram and choose a walk below.
Next

02 / 17

Spiritual faces of Subotica

One of the goals of the route is to show a little the multiculturalism of the city, where representatives of different faiths live. And go to the city museum, well, what could we do without it? And we are again at our wonderful tram, and we will move in the direction “from the Town Hall”.

How to get there Route point. Check the direction on the map and continue your walk.
Next

03 / 17

Chapel of Saint Roch

And just starting to move, on the left hand we see the Chapel of St. Roc. A small wooden chapel was erected here in 1738 on the initiative of the Franciscans - as a sign of gratitude to St. Roc, the patron saint against the plague. The epidemic that swept through the city that year claimed many lives, and the chapel became a symbol of hope and spiritual consolation for those who survived the tragedy. And it was erected on the burial site of 30 residents of Subotica who died in 1693 from Tekeli’s army under the command of Captain Virag. The chapel was one of the first places of worship in the city. The modest, simple Baroque building had one window each on the north and south.

More

In 1753, the chapel was restored and in 1773 it became a parish church, serving until the construction of the Church of St. Teresa of Avila in 1797. The building with an unsightly façade was not to the taste of the residents of Subotica in the last third of the 19th century, so it was demolished in 1884 and another one was built in its place, which still exists to this day. Art historians Bela Duranci and Kata Martinovic Cvijin consider the chapel to be one of the best creations of the architect Titus Mackovic. Bela Duranci believes that “the Chapel of St. Roch is the most successful example of a building in an eclectic style with decoration from the time when Subotica sharply accelerated its development and in two decades turned from a large village into a small modern town.” This chapel is a significant achievement of the sacral architecture of Subotica, which so impressed the townspeople that after its construction it became fashionable to build similar chapels in Subotica cemeteries. The author - Titus Mackovic - worked during this period in the neo-Renaissance style, and that’s how he designed the chapel. The chapel has one nave. The other three facades are identical and decorated in the style of a classical Greek temple. The entrance to the chapel is arched and located between shallow semi-pilasters. The southern and northern facades are decorated in a similar way. The chapel is covered with a massive dome with a high lantern topped with an apple and a cross. The roof of the dome was originally two-colored, and the ribbed part was gilded.

How to get there From the tram in the direction “from the Town Hall”; immediately to the left
Next

04 / 17

Square of victims of fascism and monument

And we go to get acquainted with Subotica further, after walking a couple of blocks we reach the square of the victims of fascism on which the monument is located. The monument to fallen fighters and victims of fascist terror, harmoniously integrated into the environment, has served as a mausoleum since November 1946, when the remains of outstanding figures of the Subotica labor movement and revolutionaries who gave their lives in the fight for the freedom of this region were solemnly buried.

More

The monument consists of three parts: a pedestal, an access platform and a tomb. The pedestal, which is the support of the sculptural parts, is made of concrete and brick, faced with marble; on the front side there is a bronze relief frieze, slightly curved. The upper part of the wall is decorated with a group figure, also made of bronze, located in the center, and the northern part of the wall serves as the entrance to the tomb with a bronze gate located in the center, behind which lie the remains of fifteen inhabitants of Subotica. Around the entrance there are bronze plaques with the names of fallen soldiers and victims of fascism. The wall ends with pylons on the sides. The access plateau is designed on two levels: the first, lower, with three steps on each, and the second level is the outer shell of the tomb, leading by steps to a semicircular plateau in front of a relief frieze. The tomb itself is half-buried with earth, the ceiling structure is made of radially arranged I-beams, under which there is a shallow brick vault. The relief surface of horizontal bronze tells the story of the struggle between good and evil, and the victorious conclusion of the struggle. In the center of the relief is the winner, a peaceful human figure, like the others, without clothing or signs of belonging to any of the conflicting parties. When you look at the terrain, it seems that the battle is dying down. At the top you can see horsemen galloping with the news of victory and the coming of peace. In the very corner you can see a crushed and immobilized enemy. Above this nightmare rises a girl full of plasticity, whose figure speaks of vitality. The laurel wreath with which the girl crowns the lifeless body is the only sign of death.The design of this monument was designed by Toma Rosandich, a sculptor of exceptional fame and long-standing popularity, whose works have been known since 1906. Among his works is the composition “Black Horses Played” in front of the People's Assembly in Belgrade. While working on the project, the author tried to create a memorial of enduring values ​​and universal human significance, without ideological paraphernalia and stereotyped demagoguery. In 1985 it was restored and reconstructed.

How to get there A couple of blocks ahead, to the square
Next

05 / 17

Cathedral of Saint Teresa of Avila

In the same square we see the Roman Catholic Church of St. Teresa of Avila. The foundation stone was laid on October 15, 1773, the feast day of Saint Teresa of Avila, the 16th-century Spanish Carmelite nun to whom the church is dedicated. The report tells the story of Budapest mason Held Frigyes, who was commissioned to install an eight-foot sculpture of the Virgin Mary on the pediment. Another ten years passed before the first service was held in the church. The exact date of the consecration is unknown, but most likely it took place in October 1797.

More

The earliest surviving design of the church dates back to 1789. It clearly indicates that the church has retained its original shape, foundation, volumes and proportions to this day. It is oriented from east to west. The site for the new church was chosen on the western edge of the floodplain, which divided the settlement into two parts. In the structural and decorative elements of architecture, in the shapes of arches, in the plastic processing of facades and interiors, the building bears the characteristic features of the Baroque style. The interior arrangement of the church began in 1803. The side altars were built by wealthy families of the city between 1803 and 1820. And the main altar was erected by the city in 1804. The organ was made by Cervenka Wenzel from Bailly in 1801, and the benches were the work of Latzbacher Michal, a master carpenter from Vienna. The first bells were installed in 1798, but over time they were replaced by larger ones. The towers were covered with copper sheets in 1839. In June 1879, the newspaper reported cracks in the church extending from the foundation to the roof, as well as cracks in the nave vault. At the end of 1883, the famous European specialist Czigler Győző was invited from Budapest, who recommended stabilizing the building by installing iron struts. In the summer of 1888, restoration of the church began. The old auxiliary buildings were demolished, and in their place, next to the altar, two semicircular rooms were built according to the design of Titus Mackovic, which statically strengthened the building. New altars were installed in two side rooms. Large-scale internal restoration of the church began in June 1893. The performer of the work was Johan Clausen, a German by birth, whose professional path ran through the schools of Vienna and Munich.According to the contract, Clausen had to breathe new life into the interior: the decoration and decoration of the temple were to be updated, the vaults were to be painted with eleven fresh frescoes, the nine altar cloths were to be carefully cleaned, and the altars themselves were to be restored. A significant contribution was also the placement of twenty carved wooden statues from the famous Tyrolean master Ferdinand Stuflesser, each of which Clausen was to cover with gold. A separate item of work included facing the walls inside the temple with square granite slabs delivered from Kelheim. Clausen completed the restoration of the benches and created all the decorative elements provided. The final stage was the arrangement of wind protection for ten entrance portals and the installation of colored stained glass windows. During the work, the altar platform was raised, hiding the crypt underneath, and on both sides of it the semicircular rooms of the sacristies harmoniously fit in. In addition to the rich architectural elements of the church’s interior, paintings, deep carvings of the pulpit in the Baroque-Classical style, gilded plastic capitals, friezes, decorative frames and luxurious wall decoration play a significant role in the feeling of the temple’s monumentality. The space is given a significant accent by the exceptional Tyrolean sculptures created in the workshop of Ferdinand Stüfleser. The authors of the church paintings are: Jozsef Schöfft, Kasper Schleibner, Emanuel Walch.

How to get there On the same square
Next

06 / 17

Sculpture of Saint Florian

Behind the cathedral there is a sculpture of St. Florian, a Roman warrior who held a high post in what was then Austria. During the period of persecution of Christians, he converted to Christianity and refused to participate in the persecution. For his faith, he was tortured and then executed: he was thrown into the river with a stone around his neck. His remains were discovered and now rest in the Polish city of Krakow, where he is revered as the patron saint of firefighters. In Subotica, a monument to Saint Florian was erected on August 15, 1926 in the park in front of the Franciscan Church and Monastery. The sculpture depicts the saint pouring water on a burning house. Initially, there was an inscription on the pedestal: “Florians, our protector, protect us from the terrible fire!” In 1975, in connection with the construction of a new boulevard, the monument was moved and is now located behind the Cathedral of St. Teresa of Avila.

How to get there Behind the Cathedral of St. Teresa of Avila
Next

07 / 17

Synagogue

Let's walk through the entire square to the victims of fascism and turn right. After walking a little more than one block, we will see the synagogue building It is difficult to write about this building, it is so good, and it always seems that words do not reflect the magnificence of this building and its uniqueness. This is a stunning architectural monument, a striking example of Hungarian Art Nouveau. One of the largest synagogues in Europe in terms of capacity. Built in 1902-1903, when Vojvodina was under the rule of Austria-Hungary, according to the design of the then young Budapest architects Dezső Jakab and Marcellus Komor. The synagogue was erected on the site of the old one at the expense of the Jewish community of Subotica, which numbered more than 5 thousand people at the beginning of the 20th century. Subotica is a city at the crossroads of cultures, the influence of Orthodox Serbia, Catholic Hungary, and Protestant Germany can be seen here; there are Ottoman, Bulgarian, and Greek traces. And the architects managed to embody in stone an amazing combination of Jewish architectural tradition with Hungarian national motifs and oriental flavor. The synagogue was built in 1902, and almost every Jew of Subotica then considered it his duty to make a contribution to the construction fund, as evidenced by the memorial plaque with the names of the donors. At the very beginning of the twentieth century, this synagogue was the second largest in Europe after the Great Synagogue of Budapest.

More

We would like to note: the statement that the Synagogue in Subotica is unique and there is no other like it in the world is not a patriotic exaggeration, but a well-founded point of view, supported by architectural historians. And here's why: 1. Architectural style: Hungarian Secession (Magyar Szecesszió). This is the key point. Most of the world's famous synagogues were built in the Moorish style (for example, the Great Synagogue in Budapest or the Spanish Synagogue in Prague), neo-Romanesque or neo-Gothic style, or in the classical style. The synagogue in Subotica is the clearest example of the Hungarian version of the Art Nouveau style, which is called Secession here. But it is not just “another secession building.” This is a national manifesto: the architects consciously created not just a religious building, but a monument to the Hungarian national identity. They were part of a movement that sought to create a modern Hungarian style, distinct from the Austrian and German ones. 2. Synthesis of the arts (Gesamtkunstwerk): the building was conceived as a single artistic work in which architecture, sculpture, painting and decorative arts merge into one. 3. Facade: “Gingerbread house” with deep symbolism. The facade of the synagogue has no analogues. It combines bright polychrome bricks and ceramic tiles (produced by the famous Zsolnay factory), creating a complex geometric and floral pattern.4. Symbolism: ornament is not just decoration. It intertwines: traditional Jewish motifs (Stars of David, menorahs (seven-branched candlesticks), tablets of the Covenant), Hungarian folk motifs (stylized flowers (sunflowers, tulips), peacocks, which in Hungarian folklore symbolize immortality), and you can catch a Christian motif (!). The base of the temple's prayer space is a regular square measuring 25 x 25 meters with an inscribed cross (Greek), which is formed around four pairs of steel columns, symmetrically arranged in an octagon shape. And the presence of this Christian motif in the design is one of the unique features. The interior, especially the Aron HaKodesh in the shape of the Tree of Life, represents an unprecedented synthesis of Jewish religious symbolism and Hungarian folklore. Thus, the uniqueness begins with the fundamental concept of the building - the plan of the prayer hall is a Greek cross inscribed in a square and formed by eight steel columns supporting the dome. This bold architectural decision is not an accident, but a deliberate “gesture of tolerance”, symbolizing that Judaism is an organic part of the cultural mosaic of Subotica. 5. Interior: Firmament and Tree of Life If the facade is unique, then the interior is something fantastic. Dome: The huge central dome of glass and steel is painted blue and studded with golden stars, symbolizing the night sky and Heavenly Jerusalem. The dome's design was innovative for its time.“Tree of Life”: the most recognizable element of the interior. The Aron HaKodesh (torah storage cabinet) is designed in the form of a gigantic, intricately curved Tree of Life, the branches of which, decorated with flowers and birds, soar to the dome. This image simultaneously refers to the biblical Tree of Life, and to the world tree from Hungarian mythology, and to the winding lines of the Art Nouveau style. There is no such solution for Aron HaKodesh in any other synagogue in the world. Organ: a powerful organ, as was typical of the liberal Jewish communities of Austria-Hungary during that period. Color scheme: continuation of the polychromy of the facade inside - an abundance of gold, blue, green and ocher creates an incredibly festive and solemn atmosphere. 6. Historical and cultural context - the synagogue can be called a “Document of the era.” It was built in 1902 at the height of the prosperity of the Jewish community of Subotica, symbolizing confidence in the future, assimilation and loyalty to Hungarian culture. 7. Miracle of Preservation: It is also unique in that it survived the Holocaust and the post-war period. Although much of the community was destroyed, the building itself survived. It was misused in socialist Yugoslavia, but escaped demolition or major reconstruction, unlike many other synagogues in Europe. To summarize: the synagogue in Subotica is unique thanks to the ideal and unique combination: A style rare for such buildings (Hungarian Secession). Mixing symbols of three cultures (Jewish, Hungarian folk, and a little Christian). An innovative and symbolically rich interior with its “Tree of Life” and sky dome. The history of the building, reflecting the hope, tragedy and survival of the Jewish community in Central Europe.This is not just “a very beautiful synagogue in the Art Nouveau style.” It is an architectural hybrid, a cultural manifesto and a work of art that truly has no direct analogues in either design or execution. There are many beautiful synagogues in the world, but there is really only one like this. In 2014-2018, the synagogue building was thoroughly restored. The Hungarian government allocated €2.2 million for the reconstruction of the Subotica synagogue, and almost €300,000 more came from EU structures. But at some point the synagogue building turned out to be too large for the significantly reduced community, so it has not been used for prayers for a long time. But nearby, on the ground floor of the community center, there is the so-called Small Synagogue. On Shabbat and holidays, community members gather there. There is no rabbi in Subotica, but community members themselves do everything necessary for a full-fledged Jewish religious life: the community has preserved seven Torah scrolls, has a kosher kitchen, and maintains order in the historical Jewish cemetery. An office is open daily in the community center, and there are also study rooms - community members study Yiddish and spend their leisure time there. The cost of a ticket to visit the synagogue is 250 RSD (Monday – closed, Tuesday – Friday from 10:00 to 18:00, Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 to 14:00). Soon after the opening of the synagogue, according to information from the local department of external relations, a significant increase in the number of tourists was noted. And many Jews of Subotica are proud that the synagogue in which their grandparents prayed has become a city landmark accessible to everyone. Yes, to be honest, the Synagogue is a source of pride for all residents of the city!

How to get there Across the square to the right, a little more than a block
Next

08 / 17

Subotica City Museum

Let's walk along the synagogue, turn right and before reaching the next intersection on the right side we will see the city museum of Subotica. The museum was founded in 1892, but did not operate all these years. The re-opening took place after World War II in 1948 thanks to the initiative of the Subotica Municipal Assembly. The palace, which houses the city museum, was built by Dr. Mihsha Demetra according to the design of the Vago brothers from Budapest. And the building was designed and built in 1906. The art collection features a selection of works by artists associated with Subotica and the Vojvodina region. Well, the works of outstanding South Slavic artists such as Nikola Aleksic, Stjepan Bakovic, Milan Kozovic, Novak Radonjic and Sava Shumanovic. The archaeological collection includes artifacts from the Neolithic era to the Middle Ages. The natural history collection includes geological, paleontological, mineralogical, petrological, zoological and botanical specimens.

How to get there Along the synagogue to the right, before reaching the intersection, on the right
Next

09 / 17

Austro-Hungarian Bank building

On the other side of the street (exactly opposite the museum) we see the building of the Austro-Hungarian Bank, designed by F. Reichl in 1901. The Art Nouveau influence on this building can be seen in the many decorative elements such as women's faces, Mercury heads, sunflowers, a beehive, a key and a sphinx-shaped doorknob, which symbolized wealth, security and banking secrecy.

How to get there Opposite the museum, across the street
Next

10 / 17

Partner

Restaurant Basch House 1887

Leaving the museum, we will go further along the street and after the roundabout on the left side we will see the restaurant “Basch House 1887”. It’s worth coming here - the menu and atmosphere are amazing)

More

The newly modernized house was built in 1887 according to the design of the famous Subotic architect Titus Mačković and originally belonged to Sándor Kertesz, then the city's chief physician. It later came into the possession of the Basa family, after whom this building in Subotica became known as the Basa House. Over the course of different periods of time, the villa changed its purpose: it was both a residential building and a commercial building, and today it proudly invites us to visit the “Basch House 1887” - a restaurant that offers us both relaxation and high-quality cuisine. What’s important is that this is where Milos Knezevic works, who in 2025 won the title of Best Foreign Pizza Chef at the world championship in Rome. So even from a simple pizza here you can expect that it is “not so simple”))) In the basement of the restaurant there is its own brewery, using technologies developed and patented by the famous Austrian Salm family.

How to get there Further down the street, after the roundabout on the left
Next

11 / 17

Serbian Orthodox Church of the Ascension

Leaving the restaurant, let's go left - along Zmajovina Street. After walking a little more than two blocks, we will reach the Serbian Orthodox Church of the Ascension, which was built in 1723–1726. The first mention of the church in written sources dates back to 1744, where the protocol states the existence of two buildings - the old and the new church. The old church was nearby and was also dedicated to the Ascension of the Lord, only it was much smaller, painted blue and had a wooden roof.

More

The current church was built between 1723 and 1726. Over time, the church has undergone significant changes and reconstruction at the expense of donors. The first major change was in 1766, when the iconostasis was painted. In 1804, extensive work was carried out when the church was expanded and increased in size. During the major renovation of 1909/1910, the church was expanded again, the old bell tower was demolished and a new bell tower was built with two corner spaces, a baptistery and a dining room. Stained glass made by Tiroler Glassmalerei from Innsbruck appeared on eight windows. The stained glass windows were largely destroyed during World War II. Due to the reconstruction and expansion of the church at the beginning of the 19th century, many of the original stylistic features were lost, with the exception of the appearance of the bell tower. Today the temple is a typical example of neo-Baroque architecture. This is a single-nave church with a distinct Baroque façade. The main western entrance is decorated with a portal with columns and a pediment, above which rises a tall Baroque bell tower. The side facades and pediments are richly decorated with typical Baroque elements: volutes, acanthus leaves and pilasters. During a large-scale restoration in 1909, thanks to abundant donations, the Old Iconostasis was replaced by the current one, created in 1910 by Johannes Lukes under the direction of Paja Jovanovic. The support of the iconostasis and the gilded carvings were made by masters of the Pest workshop “Ratay and Benedek”. The throne of the Virgin Mary is decorated with carvings and was made in 1785. The icon of St. Sava of Serbia located in the church was painted in 1910 in oil on canvas in a realistic manner by master Alexander Sekulic, an artist from Zrenjanin.

How to get there Left along the street. Zmaј Jovina, a little more than two blocks
Next

12 / 17

Church of Saint Francis of Assisi

Leaving the temple territory, we turn left and walk along Partizanskaya Street. After a couple of blocks we will go out to the square and take a right. After walking about 130 meters on the right hand we will see the Catholic Church of St. Francis of Assisi.

More

The Franciscan monastery and church in Subotica, which the inhabitants of Subotica call the "Old Church", are very old buildings - witnesses of the history of the city. Back in 1686, the Franciscans settled in the Subotica fortress. In 1693, the Franciscans built their first church there. In 1729, construction of a new church began. It was completed and consecrated in honor of St. Michael the Archangel in 1736. The outer walls of the old buildings were incorporated into the new church. With interruptions and reconstructions, the Franciscan monastery was built in stages from 1735 to 1767. By the mid-18th century, the church was equipped with Baroque altars, altar paintings, a pulpit and pews. It acquired its current appearance with features of the neo-romantic style in 1907 thanks to the architect Sándor Ainger, when the left bell tower was erected and new altars made of Carrara marble appeared. Speaking about the contribution of the Franciscans to the formation of the city, we should mention the first book of registration of baptisms in 1687, which was kept by the Franciscan rector, Father Barisha Benjović. It is now kept in the parish archives of the parish of St. Teresa of Avila in Subotica, where it was transferred in 1773 after the cessation of the Franciscan parish.

How to get there Left along the street. Partizanskaya, a couple of blocks to the square, to the right ~130 m
Next

13 / 17

Evangelical (Lutheran) Church

Let's continue our path and go out to Freedom Square (we'll walk between the People's Theater and the Town Hall), and we'll go along Brace Radic Street (to the right of our beautiful library). And we walk along it for several not very long blocks until we reach a small Evangelical Christian Church (Braće Radić Street 17, 320 meters from the library). The church has a single-nave (hall) plan with a pronounced vertical. Its austere appearance in the neo-Gothic style (especially the high bell tower) focuses the attention of parishioners on the altar, which is in keeping with the Lutheran tradition. The dominant facade is a tall bell tower with a pointed spire, which is a characteristic feature of the neo-Gothic style. The entrance portal is designed in the shape of a triumphal arch. The windows have a characteristic pointed shape (lancet windows), also typical of Gothic. According to available information with a high degree of reliability, the architect is Geza Kocka, who was a very famous architect in Subotica at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.

More

The construction of the church reflected the growth and self-organization of the Lutheran community in Subotica, which by the end of the 19th century had become large enough to build its own permanent church. It is worth noting here that after the Second World War the size of the evangelical community in Subotica declined sharply. This church is a wonderful example of sacred architecture of the early 20th century. On a small square in front of the church there are 3 busts of famous figures, and one of them is known to many: Martin Luther, who in the 16th century began the Reformation by formulating his 95 theses, in particular, speaking out against the sale of indulgences - absolution for money, he also translated the Bible from Latin into German, making it accessible not only to priests, but also to ordinary people. His name gave the name to a whole movement - Lutheranism. And the bust of Luther appeared in Subotica for a reason: the traditions of Protestant communities are strong in Vojvodina.

How to get there On the square Svoboda, then along the street. Brace Radicha (17, ~320 m from the library)
Next

14 / 17

Catholic Church of St. George

Let's go further along Braće Radića Street, it's worth walking another 800 meters and we will see the Catholic Church of St. George (Crkva Svetog Jurja). It is a Roman Catholic church located in an area associated with the Bunevtsi (a Catholic ethnic minority of Slavic origin), who built it as a Catholic church. It was built at the end of the 19th century and is a striking example of neo-Gothic architecture, typical of the period of Austro-Hungarian rule.

More

Construction began in 1893 and was completed in 1896. The church was erected in honor of the millennium of the Hungarian conquest. The project was developed by architects Hoepfer and Keresztes from Pest (Budapest) based on the winning proposal in the competition. Style and Appearance: Neo-Gothic, with brick facade, high tower, pointed arches and decorative elements. The nave is separated from the side aisles by 12 columns. Interior: furniture and decoration were created by the Tyrolean company Stufflesser in 1898–1899. The main altar is decorated with the figure of St. George trampling the dragon, with large statues of St. Stephen and St. Ladislaus. The side altars are dedicated to the Immaculate Virgin and the Heart of Jesus. The stained glass windows, made in Budapest by Glogovác and Krause, were unfortunately destroyed during the Second World War. Wall painting: In 1906, the artist Antal Szirmai created Art Nouveau frescoes depicting the Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus in the sanctuary, however, some of the paintings in the nave were destroyed during the war.

How to get there Further down the street. Brace Radic ~800 m
Next

15 / 17

Church of the Holy Roc (diocese)

The first is the Church of the Holy Roc, which belongs to the Subotica Diocese of the Roman Catholic Church The distance from our tram is 1.5 km. The current church was built in 1896 on the site of an older neo-Gothic building and is dedicated to Saint Roch. Saint Roch, Roch of Montpellier (Latin Rochus, French Roch, Italian Rocco; c. 1295 - 1327) is a Catholic saint who became famous as a protector against the plague. The length of the building is 51.5 m, the height of the tower is 62.65 m. The tower was renovated in 1959, and the church was completely restored inside in 1961. It has five bells, the largest of which weighs 944 kg, and the smallest weighs 50 kg. The bells in the church were installed in 1841. .

How to get there Additionally: ~1.5 km from the tram
Next

16 / 17

Church of the Resurrection of the Lord (Gajeva)

Another church to visit is the Church of the Resurrection of the Lord (Gajeva 10) According to many townspeople, this is a very atmospheric church, and the Svetozar Miletić park, in which it is located, enhances this feeling.

More

It is a Roman Catholic church and is a parish church (župna crkva). The church was originally planned as a cathedral, but has not yet been completed. Construction began in 1933 without official permission from the city authorities (who, according to rumors at the time, were influenced by the Freemasons and opposed the project). The original plan, in the shape of a Greek cross, was designed by Monsignor Lajčo Budanović. The church was later expanded according to the design of engineer Karl Molzer (also Karl Molzer). The building is missing several planned elements, including a 15-metre dome, an extended nave, two additional towers and a corridor around the altars of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Sacred Heart of Mary. Construction proceeded in stages, with ongoing renovations and additions throughout the 20th and early 21st centuries (e.g., interior plastering and painting completed in 1954, repainting in 1983, new altar and sanctuary erected in 1973, wall renovations occurring from 1972 to 2008). The parish was officially established in 1956, after having functioned as a vicariate since 1926. And the nearby Buvljak clothing market on weekends gives you the opportunity to buy antiques in what is usually called a flea market.

How to get there Gajeva 10, in Svetozar Miletić Park
Next

17 / 17

Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

And the third church is the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (Crkva Uzviseja Svetog Križa, also known as Crkva Sv. Križa) in Subotica - this is a Roman Catholic church. It is located on the corner of 27 March and Ferenc Szép streets, it is next to the cemetery, but not directly on the cemetery, which has chapels (don't be confused). The distance from our tram is 1.7 km.

More

Visitors note the rich decoration of the church, but getting inside is not so easy (And the territory is open from Monday to Saturday from 8-00 to 12-00. Architect Géza Kocka, construction began in 1894, the cross on the tower was installed on October 6, 1894, and construction was completely completed in 1896. The church was originally built as a chapel on the initiative of Maria Vojnić Tošinica, a Subotic Croat noblewoman known for her philanthropy. The parish was established in 1956, although since 1933 the church has functioned as a vicariate. The church survived the bombing of Subotica in 1944 and the destruction carried out by the “forces of socialism” in the 1950s and 1960s. Dimensions: length 21 m, width 11.4 m, height of the central nave 6 m, tower 25 m. The church has two bells, and under it a crypt with the burials of Maria Voynich Toshinitsa and her relatives. Services are held in Croatian and Hungarian. If you go to this church, we highly recommend visiting the wonderful Sarajevske Pite bakery along the way. The baked goods there are all excellent, but everyone says that it is impossible to find better bureks than in this bakery. The problem is one: the bureks there often end before 12 o’clock...

How to get there Corner of 27 March and Ferenc Szép streets; ~1.7 km from the tram